Saturday, October 9, 2010

So What the Heck is Geocaching, Anyway?




In these days of economic woe, where a family trip to the local amusement park could potentially cost you the equivalent of a small down payment on a new car, it can be difficult to find activities for the entire family to enjoy that won't put a British Petroleum size hole in your bank account. Wouldn't it be nice to have an activity that could involve the entire family, be almost as much fun when you do it alone, that encourages exercise and a love of the outdoors, and costs a mere fraction of the cost of that amusement park trip (without the large crowds and sweaty lines too)?

Well...welcome to Geocaching!


As defined on its web page, Geocaching is "...a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called Geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment". 

All you need to get involved is a GPS unit, a list of locations downloaded from the website (www.geocaching.com), and some form of transportation. Granted, a GPS is not exactly a cheap ticket item, but it is a one time purchase. All you really need money for after that is gas (and packed lunches to bring in to eat at some scenic point along the way and, of course, remember to carry out the empties when you are finished).

Our family LOVES to Geocache. The Peanut, who is 5, always looks forward to an afternoon of "treasure hunting" as she calls it. It gets her (and us) out of the house and onto the nature trails of our awesome state parks and into the history of our area. At her age, thanks to Geocaching, she can tell me what a longitude line is and what a latitude line is and why they even exist. She loves to hike and be the first to make a find. 

It is an activity that gives us an opportunity to spend time together as a family, learn about local history, exercise, appreciate the beauty of the world around us, and meet new and interesting people. Geocaching is a global community, with caches in all fifty states and multiple countries around the world.


It is also a great activity to engage in solo.

Where else can you have this much fun and quality time with your loved ones for the cost of a tank of gas?

If I have grabbed your attention, watch the short video below. Then sign up (it's FREE!) and get started today. If you are already a Geocacher, say howdy in the comments section. Talk it up and let people know how enjoyable it is. If not and you have questions, drop em' in the comments section and I will get right back to you.


I primarily write about fatherhood, marriage, education, and any other random piece of mental driftwood over at my primary blog, Dad at the Chalkboard. I always want to write about my geocaching as I do spend quite a bit of free time engaged in it but it never seemed to fit over there. Then today, while I was hiking through the woods in search of a cache, it occurred to me to start a blog where I will talk primarily about this fun and intriguing hobby. So that's what I did.


My plan is to tell stories, post pictures, host discussions, and write articles, all pertaining to geocaching. I hope you will come on back to join me.

Have fun, get out there and Geocache!


3 comments:

  1. So... I went geocaching for the first time today. Took my husband and boys to some spots around New Cumberland. Out of three we looked for, we only found 1! Evidently, I'm not good at this yet- seems geocachers do this on their lunch breaks or when they're just passing through! I'm going back to those spots though- we'll find them, darn it!

    Thanks for the idea, by the way. What a cool (and cheap) way to spend some family time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That's AWESOME!

    I am so glad you had a good time doing this with your family.

    Geocaching is definetly something that you improve at as you go. The very first time I went out I found NOTHING.

    You are so very welcome. Pop back sometime and let me know how you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cant wait to start...as of right now i am not in a location suitable but when after i move i plan on getting my feet wet. looks like so much fun. love the title to your blog...CROM!

    ReplyDelete

Sign the log(leave a comment)!